Shipper | Best practices
The benefits of shipping refrigerated freight with a dedicated provider
To help ensure an uninterrupted supply chain, using a dedicated provider can solve the biggest food and beverage challenges that put refrigerated freight—and the bottom line—at risk.
1. Enhanced product integrity when shipping perishables
There’s a low margin of error when shipping refrigerated freight, and a dedicated configuration means consistency for retailers and customers.
- Food-grade shipping standards are upheld through uninterrupted service across market cycles, equipment shortages and industry variability.
- Specific trailers for each customer eliminate the potential for cross contamination.
2. Niche expertise with grocers improves reefer shipping deliveries
For temperature-controlled shipping, retailers have specific requirements when receiving food freight. Shippers need a carrier that has longstanding relationships with retailers and can meet their delivery expectations.
- Fulfills on-time, in-full requirements (no short-shipping) requested by individual customers.
- Mitigates late fees and penalties.
3. More freight predictability and supply chain optimization
To keep a supply chain running smoothly means finding a carrier that puts proven processes and performance into play every day. This keeps temperature-controlled freight moving predictably and consistently.
- Work with a carrier that has extensive experience in shipping refrigerated freight, access to engineering expertise and a proven track record of successfully shipping tens of thousands of temperature-controlled loads every year.
- Access to asset-based capacity—even during capacity constrained conditions—scales with your business to help meet your customers’ needs.
- Specialty driver training means expert knowledge of your business and network to get your freight where it needs to be—on time and intact.
- Loading engineers strategically assess loading plans in order to optimize each load’s efficiency.
4. Equipment and technology safeguard refrigerated freight
An ongoing investment in the right equipment and technology is imperative to expertly manage the time-sensitive and high-value loads inherent in shipping perishables and temperature-controlled freight. This type of commitment helps optimize the supply chain and bring greater value to a shipper’s business.
- The right trailers and reefer units—and their ongoing maintenance—safeguard refrigerated loads from ambient temperature exposure.
- Look for a carrier that has the capital and desire to put the best equipment to work for you, ensuring product integrity.
- Onboard technology continuously monitors and maintains the proper temperature, with alerts for low fuel, temperature and maintenance issues.
- Real-time visibility throughout the route shows the exact location of freight to help you plan for delivery to your customers.
- Partner with a carrier that takes security seriously to prevent claims and rejected loads by adhering to in-transit security measures, seal protocols and load integrity procedures.
Acting as an extension of a shipper’s team, a dedicated transportation solution for shipping refrigerated freight keeps supply chains moving and shelves stocked.
Drive your business forward
Sign up to receive our industry leading newsletter with case studies and insights you can put to use for your business.